Saturday, June 30, 2007

Celebrating World Music Day

It all started when while sifting through the pages of HT a few
days back I stumbled upon an ad for "Genre of The Day contest".
On an ordinary day I would have skipped it like it was never there
but that day I chose to be different, chose to act because the prize
was very enticing, "Invites for finale of HT's World Music
Day celebrations
featuring Atif Aslam and Rock Bands"

I (for a change) sent a sms but nothing happened for a couple
of days and then i received this sms
"Hi HT congratulates u for winning the GOTD contest.
Collect your
prize from .........." . Wow I had just won my
solitary prize in the real world. But then can things be
really this simple for me ?? Noooooooo is the the obvious answer.
Moreover what fun would a good thing like this be unless it flip-flops
between Ifs and Buts ?

From receiving just one pass for the concert(plus a music world
gift voucher) , staying late in office for work to standing at
venue's entry with a pass but being told that
admissions
are
closed
everything happened with me in a kinda planned manner.

But then, things happen when they ought to happen and in the way
they ought to happen. Luckily I got inside in time(before Atif had come).
Had to sit through an obscure song by Manthan and a super silly
question followed by a sillier answer. No, I can't help but quote them

Dumb guy with mike(to some random guy): "aapko Atif
ka
music aacha lagta hai ya Atif ke good looks ?"
Random guy
:"Nahi, Mujhe Atif ka style sabse aacha lagta hai"
Dumb guy with mike:"
Yes I can promise you all he is a style icon"
Me: WTF ?

Next few minutes saw Atif's band doing a sound check and once it
was done the Dude(Atif) stormed the stage.
Girls screamed and swooned, Mellifluous music wafter through the air,
Girls screamed and swooned even more. His husky resonating voice had
everyone in trance and his subtle (apt for a disco) dance steps made girls
hysterical.

Apart from his popular songs Atif treated the audience with
U2's "With or Without You", Rahat Khan's "Naina", Adnam's
"Bheegi Bheegi Raaton" and "Yaaron yahi dosti hai" but
nothing could match the effect that "Kuch is tarah" and "Tere Bin"
effortlessly created.

Piece of Advice:
For such events reach the venue even if you don't have passes/tickets
and keep trying because chances are that by hook or by crook
you'll get in.

Trivia:
1) The performance lasted just slightly more then an hour but it
gave enough to sustain nostalgia for a long long time.
2) The event saw people coming from as far as Kashmir and Mumbai
3) Special mention was given and dedications made to the Aadeez.
4) The passes were available at select Barista and Music World outlets
free of cost(Even i got to know this on Thursday afternoon).
5) Thanks to a random guy who broke the plastic seal(that
had kept the gate locked) courtesy which I got in.

Links:
1) Atif's website
2) Check this out



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol..i liked ure advice..but how does he luk like in real life?..i have only seen him on tv...n the last time in news where he was lukin cute.
Thanks

Mayank said...

Ahh

For a second i thought you had written "how do I look in real life?"

Anyways

He is quite good/cute looking and is a fashion icon..
Plus he knows how to charm girls by
making just the right expressions and cool dance moves.

Anonymous said...

LOL..
For a second i thought you had written "how do I look in real life?"
That was funny..i didn't ask u b4 but now that u have said it so i'll ask u "how do u luk like":)

and btw..what was he wearing in the concert?.

Mayank said...

hehe

Well Anonymous all that I can say is that I lag way behind Atif in terms of looks ya but otherwise I'd say I look decently good

He was sporting a white shirt,a blue denims and a conspicuous hair band.

Can't stop myself from asking how do you look ?

PS:Beware this ain't modesty, it's just that I cant afford to verbalize about my looks on my blog
:)