Saturday, April 14, 2007

Me and You and Everyone We Know..



Dir: Miranda July
Cast: John Hawkes, Miranda July, Miles Thompson, Brandon Ratcliff

Asked a friend for a thought provoking, that's how i came across this film.
Couldn't think of anything better than watching a movie on this ideal
Saturday evening so thought of trying this one out.

Abstract, that's the word that comes to mind when I think about this
movie. Don't know why but it reminds me of a movie titled "Happiness",
hmm...probably because it's also got a whole lot of stories running in
parallel. Short stories of a few people who stay in a neighborhood and of a

few who are somehow linked to these people(neighborhood).

The best thing about the movie is the sheer variety of characters
involved and the multiple facets of the contemporary life it reflects.
I am quite sure everyone can relate to something or the other from
the movie. There are some movies that start in a not so different way
but slowly start showing their mettle while there are others that start in
a unique way and set the mood for everything that follows..MaYaEWK
being the latter. The way it starts made me sit back alertly just to ensure
i catch finer nuances of the dialogues.

The stories flow seamlessly into each other and back while the
background score adds another subtle layer to these stories. Love,
Experimentations with Sex, Troubled Relationships, Falling Marriages,
Fatherhood, Peer Rivalry and Longing for Companionship..the movie
has it all

))<>((

My Rating: 3.75/5

Imdb Rating:7.5/10

Dialogues I liked:

1)I'm gonna be free.I'm gonna be free. And I'm gonna be brave.I'm gonna be brave.Good.And the next one is—I'm gonna live each day as if it were my last.Oh, that's good. You like that? Yeah. Say it.I'm gonna live each day as if it were my last.Fantastically.Fantastically.Courageously.Courageously.With grace.With grace.

2)Cause it's lifeIt's life.And it's happening.It's really, really happening...right now

3)No one is going to live your life for you. Okay. That's not how it works, but okay.

4)I can't sleep at night thinking about her. I just wish I had met her 50 years sooner.- Yeah.- But then maybe I needed 70 years of life...to be ready for a woman like Ellen.

5)People think foot pain is a fact of life...but life is actually better than that

6)I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet,you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it.

7) Ice Land is—It's kind of like that point in a relationship, you know...where you suddenly realize it's not gonna last forever. You know, you can see the end in sight.

8) How did you do that? Oh, well, do you want the long version or the short version? The long one. I was trying to save my life, and it didn't work. What's the short one? I burned it.

9) I've long since stopped trying to make people...do things they don't want to do.But she's the love of your life. You're just gonna let her go? No. She's just... going

10)We have a whole life to live together, you fucker! But it can't start until you call

11) You can be sure Pam and I would be sent to our rooms for all our fighting. Yes, they would give us a time-out...and tell us we could not come out until we had really thought about what we had done. What have we done? But... there are no time-outs. There's not enough time for time-out.

Scenes that clicked with me:

1) The Opening Scene with Christine.
2) Christine and Michael try to save the fish.
3) Christine's and Richard walk towards Car Park.
4) Neighborhood Girls with Peter.
5) When Robby meets his chat friend.
6) When Christine scribbles on the inside of her car's mirror
7) "Me" and "You" shoe scene.
8) Slyvie discussing interiors of her future house and talks she'll have with her daughter.

Trivia:

1) Took me 1.5 hrs to watch the movie and about 2hrs to write this review
2) Wrote the whole of it single handedly(with just my left hand as my right thumb is injured)
3) Movie Script
4) Movie's official site

Trailer:


3 comments:

kaa said...

the scene which I really liked was the one where he sets fire to his hand. And the way the director doesnt tell us why he did it. Only later he comes out with the story of his uncle.
and the best dialogue for me was,'I would like to believe in a universe where you wake up in the morning and don't have to go to work..and you see two pretty girls who are sisters and also girfriends....'

Mayank said...

While choosing spl scenes I thought of including this one as well but then since I right away got why he burnt his hand I thought of including that dialogue b/w Richard n Catherine in which he says

I was trying to save my life,
and it didn't work.


and yes that "believe in universe" one was another wonderful dialogue :)

kaa said...

i am sure if other ppl are asked they'll find another bunch of dialogues even better...there's so much good content in here :)