Saturday, November 04, 2006

Happiness

It's slightly unusual( or maybe not) name of a movie..Rated at 7.7 on IMDB and tagged as Drama/Comedy...

I'll try to keep the of the movie aside while writting it's review however i'll give some very basic idea of the story n characters to make some sense.

Central Characters:
Joy(i like her name a lot though its quite ironic for her character): Does her part of acting quite nicely, works as a part time teacher and is a wanna be musician.
Bill: Shown as a pervert who has this normal and pleasing personality on the outside so much that even no one in his family has any clues as to what he's going through.(Fine piece of acting)
Allen: Another desperate and frustated soul whose a sex maniac..A couple of his scenes and dialogues are quite gross(Brilliant acting)

I expected this movie to be a nice and light comedy or at most a light movie that'll ask some questions are force you to introspect but nothing of that sort happened, at least for me

The best part of the movie was coverage of a lot of different and socially relevant issues
from pedophilia,Sexual obsession,Lonliness,Breaking marriages
It's End is quite funny though: "I CAME"

It's not the kind of movie that'll make you feel good about the world once you are through it but will bring some new perspective to the problems of the society and just might help you understand and handle them better

Fav Character: Joy
Fav Song: Happiness
Fav Quote:
It's just I'm... I'm so tired of being admired all the time. All these men I mean... they're all beautiful, artistic minds, great sex, the whole package, but hollow, you know what I mean? I feel nobody's really honest with me. Nobody wants me for me

My Rating:7ish

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought that Happiness was a bit over-rated personally. It didn't quite gel together and some of it I feel that it was just to piss people off or put them off rather than to take on the subject.
The best scenes are the ones with Phillip Seymour Hoffman, he is classic and the awkwardness mixed with the sick humour of his part makes the film a bit better to me.

Mayank said...

There's a difference of about 0.7 in the rating that Happiness got at IMDB (7.7)and the one that i gave(7)..
Well since its a Dark Comedy there had to be certain scenes like that..People confessing gruesome murders over desserts and saying that they'll still sleep with children but will jerk off rather than doing that with their own children...Yes, i agree the Guy was classy in his own distinct pervert like way, i wont forget the scene when he pastes a postcard on the wall with his cum..Yukk

Also the song that Joy sings(Happiness where are you) is also nice