Sunday, July 22, 2007

When Harry Met Sally

A week doesn't seem complete until I watch a movie or two(at least).
This feeling that somethings missing got the better of me and
I decided to watch "When Harry Met Sally" (Yes this is the film that
inspired "HUM TUM") on an ideal Saturday.Had heard about this a long
time back but somehow couldn't watch it earlier.



Talking about WHMS

Director:Rob Reiner
Cast: Billy Crystal,Meg Ryan,
Carrie Fisher,Bruno Kirby and Lisa Jane Persky

It's a Romantic Comedy that
revolves around the lives(and relationship) of Harry Burns and
Sally Albright played beautifully by Billy and Meg.The movie opens up
slightly unusually with an elderly couple(not part of the movie)
sitting on a sofa set, sort of being interviewed with the Man going like

"I was sitting with my friend Arthur, in a restaurant and this girl
walked in ----
--- and I turned to Arthur and I said, "Arthur, you see that girl ?
I'm going to marry her." And two weeks later we were married. And
it's 50 years later and we're still married."


Similar scenes with old couples of different cultural backgrounds
summarizing how the they met their partners, got married and are still
together, occur intermittently throughout the film and give a subtle
feel to the story.

For the uninitiated its d movie that gave world one of the all time famous
lines "Ek ladka aur ek ladki kabhi dost nahi ho sakte" OR in Harry Speak
"men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way"
Yes, that's how those lines came into existence(1989)and are still
being used and reused by people(basically guys I believe) all around.

Harry is a forthright, pragmatic and maverick glib talker whose in touch
with himself while Sally is a pretty looking, picky women with cerebral
approach whose kinda out of touch with herself(away from her reality).
Harry and Sally start off being acquaintances and eventually end up
falling for each other.The movie focuses on their relationship
as acquaintances, friends and more then just friends. I think any/everyone
who is or was in such a relationship can correlate a lot(I do for sure).

Beneath the layer of consciousness where the people
involved care n feel for each other(in we are just friends way) is another
layer(unconscious) where they secretly and unknowingly like/desire that
chemistry and want it to never end.

I strongly feel(it happens in the film also) that a guy and a girl cannot
be just very good friends, no it's not really that the sex part that gets in
the way but its the emotions part that does. There's a very high chance
that one of the two persons involved would be knowingly/unknowingly
feeling much more about the other person. But then not every pair of
very good friends end up the way Harry n Sally do. Maybe cause there
is not a Harry(Guy or Gal) in every such case.Think about it..

The movie has its share of some really funny and some really
touching moments.Even while writing this I cant stop thinking about some
scenes and laughing out loud.

A must watch

My Rating: 4/5
Imdb Rating: 7.6/10

Scenes that I loved:
1) On way to New York when they enter a restaurant and Sally loudly says
"It just so happened that I had plenty of good sex".
2) The one in which they meet on a plane
3) Harry n Jess raise n do Mexican waves while discussing Harry's wife.
4) When they talk on phone before going to sleep.
5) The one in museum where they speak in a different/funny way.
6)
Harry n Jess while practicing baseball
7) The one with "I'll have what she is having"(Orgasm Scene)
8) When Sally breaks down n Harry goes to her place
9) Harry n Sally calling Jess n his wife
10) Harry proposing Sally on new year's eve

Dialogues that I loved:
Well there were lots of them so I put them in a separate post here

Trivia:
1)In the famous faked orgasm scene, the woman who says, "I'll have what she's having. . ." is Rob Reiner's mother.

Links:
1) Answers.com
2) WikiQuote

No comments: